Label

Time is Up!

Okay... time is up! let's talk about time.

Time in my view is one of the dimensions that bind human existence apart from space. Unlike space, which we can engineer in such a way, we cannot manage time as we wish. We have to adapt to the times. and how we manage time that is called time management.

Here I want to share how I manage my time, of course with various experiences that I have had. As a starting point, I'm a person who doesn't really like to finish things that are far from deadlines. Because somehow when I do something that is far from the deadline, all the work that I have planned is not finished. To maintain that, my reasoning is that I'm a person who gets too focused when I've done something, and until someone stops what I'm doing, I won't stop to keep checking and perfecting every single thing I've done. I never felt sure about what I had done. Therefore, I used the deadline as a stopper to my indecision. Even though it looks lazy but I still try to fulfill my duties in accordance with the time that has been provided.

But what if multiple jobs have to be completed within the same deadline? am I going to multitask? Of course not. my work system is not like a computer that can do many things at one time. To overcome this I learned to measure the work time it took me to do something. that way I can make my own deadlines by prioritizing my work.

Let's say, I have to complete three jobs in a day, namely inputting data, compiling reports, and making poster designs. I will measure the priority of work based on the level of difficulty and quantity of work. For that, I will input the data first because it does not require too focused thinking and is structured, so it is easier for me to measure my working time according to the quantity of work. After that, I will compile a report that requires more focused thinking but still with a structured arrangement. Different from making posters, this work requires focused thinking and broad imagination to be able to express creative ideas, so it will be more difficult to estimate the time of work. Especially in this work, there will be many revisions of ideas depending on my own satisfaction, so it will need more time to do than I will put it at the end of the deadline.

Of course, in every time management, there will be time estimation errors that affect the allocation of other work time. And to fix it, I always add the time allocation needed to prevent errors from occurring. The former case would probably apply to work that was done alone. It is different if there are activities that have been scheduled and have an impact on many people, then I will prioritize those activities on my time schedule.

Therefore, In time management it is very important to know how important the work we are going to do and how much influence it has on the success of the project we are working on. So, back to our awareness of how we realize the responsibility we have to complete the task that has been given.